BREAST AUGMENTATION (IMPLANTS VERSUS FAT GRAFTING):
Breast augmentation, also known as Augmentation mammoplasty, is a surgical procedure done to increase the size of the breasts. Breast augmentation is done for various reasons, like –
It is done to enhance an individual’s appearance and boost their self-confidence.
- If one of the breasts is smaller than the other, it affects the way the individual dresses or the type of bra needed to help with the asymmetry.
- Sometimes, after pregnancy or significant weight loss, the size of the breasts can reduce. In such cases, breast augmentation is considered to correct this.
- It is also done to correct the shape and size of breasts after undergoing some other type of breast surgery like a mastectomy.
- It is also done as a part of gender affirmation surgery.
It is traditionally done by placing silicone or saline implants in the breasts. A newer method called fat grafting involves taking an individual’s body fat and augmenting their breasts. Individuals seeking to undergo breast augmentation surgery via either option must undergo a thorough medical, physical, and mental examination to ascertain that they are the right candidate for it. Individuals who suffer from any form of Body Dysmorphia are not suitable to undergo breast augmentation.
The following is a comparison between the above two methods-
- Breast implants usually last 10 years on average and need another surgery to keep up the shape. Fat grafting is more permanent, though individuals may require touch-ups in case of fat reabsorption since fat grafted behaves like fat anywhere else in the body.
- Since fat in fat grafting procedures is taken from an individual’s body, there is lesser risk for rejection. In contrast, there is a chance of the body rejecting the implants placed for breast augmentation as implants are considered foreign bodies by the immune system.
- Fat grafting gives a more natural look and custom shape to the breast. Implants, on the other hand, come in standard size. Fat grafting usually increases the breast size by only one cup size, whereas implants placed can be of any size. It is important that the breasts look natural and realistic even after breast augmentation.
- The surgery for fat grafting is a longer surgery lasting 2 to 3 hours as compared to the surgery done for placing breast implants. But there is less scarring and incisions for the fat grafting surgery compared to implant surgery.
- There are risks involved in both surgeries. Fat grafted breasts can reduce in size later due to fat necrosis (i.e., death of the grafted fat due to lack of blood supply) or fat reabsorption, while implants can form capsule contractures changing the breast shape.
- Breast implants have been around for longer and are more widely performed; hence more is known than breast augmentation using fat grafting. Fat grafting is a relatively newer technique with fewer practitioners.
For enquiries and online appointments, send a message through www.PinkAppleAesthetics.com/contact
Subscribe to Pink Apple Aesthetics YouTube Channel to watch videos related to cosmetic surgery/cosmetic procedures
Subscribe Here – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5YFkh7OA_gf4D-lW-8Aabw/videos
Follow us on