Mommy Make Over
Mommy makeover aims at restoring the shape and appearance of the woman’s body after childbirth. Women tend to notice significant change in their body post pregnancy on account of hormonal changes. As the whole body gets a bit flabby during pregnancy, there are many areas that can be addressed, most commonly breasts, abdomen, waist, genitalia and buttocks. Generally mommy makeover is performed as a single stage procedure.
However, mommy makeover is not a single technique; in fact it is a range of techniques that is used to perform to get the newbie mommy back in shape. Doctors will choose the correct procedure after taking into consideration which one works best on a case-by-case basis.
Some of the factors that depend on the choice of the procedure are:
- Desired amount of restoration
- Placement of incision
- Type of implant used
Are you a candidate for a mommy makeover?
Mommy makeover surgery is a highly personalized procedure. You should be the one who takes a call on it and it should not be to fulfill someone else’s desires or to try to get into any sort of hourglass shape.
You may be a potential candidate for mommy makeover if:
- You are in good medical health
- You are at your ideal body weight
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations
- You are finished with childbearing
Consultation for a mommy makeover
During your consultation with the cosmetic/plastic surgeon you should discuss your goals. If you are suffering from any medical condition or allergic to certain drugs, it should be brought to the surgeon’s attention. Previous surgeries, current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use should also be disclosed to the surgeon.
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Assess your health condition and any pre-existing medical conditions or risk factors
- Examine your breasts, abdomen, genitalia and/or buttocks and take measurements of their size and shape, skin quality and skin thickness
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options and recommend the appropriate course of treatment
- Discuss what you can expect from a mommy makeover procedure and any risks or potential complications
Preparation for a mommy makeover
Before undergoing mommy makeover surgery, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Stop smoking
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
Mommy makeover surgery is generally performed in a hospital setting under general anesthesia. Some follow-up procedures are likely to be performed in an outpatient clinic after the procedure on routine clinical visits. These will be done under local anesthesia. Follow-up procedures are purely based on the kind of surgical procedure you have undergone and in consideration of what you choose. Keep in mind that the doctor is the best person to arrive at a judgment on the procedure.
Steps of a mommy makeover procedure
Anesthetic medications are administered during the surgical procedure. It could be intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Anesthetist in consultation with your plastic surgeon will choose the best anesthetic for you.
The following surgical procedures are carried out as a part of mommy makeover:
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift
- Buttock augmentation
- Tummy tuck
- Vaginal rejuvenation
Following the mommy makeover procedure your incision will be covered with gauze and bandage. In order to reduce swelling and support the breasts an elastic bandage or support bra may be used if the procedure is breast augmentation
A compression garment may also be used to minimize swelling in the abdomen, waist and buttocks as the case may be.
Specific instructions will be given to you regarding:
- How to care for your surgical site(s) following surgery
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the risk of infection
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or regarding your general health
- When to follow up with your plastic surgeon
Make sure you discuss with your plastic surgeon what you can expect during your recovery phase.
- Where will you be kept post procedure?
- What medications will be prescribed after the surgery?
- If there are dressings and bandages, when will they be removed?
- Will there be drains? If so, how long?
- Questions regarding bathing and showering
- Questions regarding resuming normal activities and exercise
- Questions regarding follow-up care
Healing process will go on for several weeks. With time, the swelling will come down and you can see enhanced shape of breast, abdomen, waist, buttocks and genetalia improves. It is imperative to follow the instructions given to you diligently and make sure follow-up visits are not missed.
It may take some time before final result of a mommy makeover surgery is apparent. Implants will settle and scar lines will blur over time. Women generally feel satisfied and gratified post the makeover procedure. That is quite evident in their self-confidence after the surgery.
For questions related to Mommy Makeover, send a message to www.pinkappleaesthetics.com